Tenure advice to new faculty

A month ago, I participated at a panel as part of the new faculty orientation program of the SUNY Buffalo. There were 5 recently tenured faculty in the panel. The idea was that we would convey our tenure advice to the new faculty. I was the only one from the Engineering School, the others were mostly from Social sciences. We had 80 minutes for 5 speakers, so I expected to get 15 minutes. But, the panel was rather informal and the speaking times were not enforced. So, I got to speak as the 4th speaker for 5 minutes only. The other speakers had come with 3-4 printed pages to talk, I had keynote prepared keynote slides (which I ended up not showing with a projector). Since I feel I didn't get enough mileage out of these slides, I am sharing them here.
UBNewFacultyAdvice.pdf

The panel also exposed me to some cultural differences among Social and Engineering disciplines. I didn't find their advice actionable, and probably they found my advice blunt. I won't discuss more. I am an engineer and I am proud.

Comments

tarabulus said…
I think the slides are invaluable, quite clear and succint. Thx for sharing them. Could have just printed and distributed with an RTFM note in the panel. 4 mins would be abundent.
Murat said…
Thanks @tarabulus I am glad you like it :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The end of a myth: Distributed transactions can scale

Hints for Distributed Systems Design

Foundational distributed systems papers

Learning about distributed systems: where to start?

Metastable failures in the wild

Scalable OLTP in the Cloud: What’s the BIG DEAL?

The demise of coding is greatly exaggerated

SIGMOD panel: Future of Database System Architectures

Dude, where's my Emacs?

There is plenty of room at the bottom